We are seeking a motivated and enthusiastic Herd Management Intern. This position offers an opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the daily operations of a goat farm and contribute to the well-being and productivity of our herd. The intern will assist with various tasks related to animal health, nutrition, record keeping, and dairy goat management.
1. Medications and Vaccines: Assist with administering medications and vaccines to the goats as directed by the farm manager or veterinarian. Ensure accurate dosages and maintain detailed records of treatments.
2. Wellness Checks: Conduct regular wellness checks on the goats, monitoring their overall health, and promptly reporting any signs of illness or injury. Learn and apply basic veterinary examination skills including body condition scoring and FAMACHA.
3. Record Keeping: Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of goat health, vaccinations, medications, and any other relevant information. Assist with data entry and organization of records to ensure easy access and retrieval.
4. Nutrition: Learn about and assist with the formulation and preparation of goat diets. Help with feeding schedules and ensure proper nutrition for all goats, including kids, lactating does, and bucks.
5. Best Practices Documentation: Assist in documenting and implementing best practices for goat health, nutrition, and general farm management. Contribute to the development and improvement of standard operating procedures.
6. Hoof Trimming: Learn and practice proper hoof trimming techniques. Help maintain healthy hooves by scheduling regular trimming sessions and addressing hoof-related issues.
7. Milk Production Tracking: Assist in tracking milk production of lactating does, recording individual yields, and maintaining accurate records. Prepare samples for monthly milk tests and supervise the testing process.
8. Monitoring Growth and Health of Kids: Monitor the growth, development, and overall health of goat kids. Assist with record keeping, ensuring timely vaccinations, and weaning.
– A strong interest in animal husbandry and a desire to learn about farm management.
– Ability to follow instructions and work under the guidance of the farm manager.
– Strong organizational and record-keeping skills to maintain accurate and detailed farm records.
– Ability to perform physically demanding tasks, such as leading large animals, bending and working outdoors in various weather conditions.
– Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team environment.
This position requires working outdoors in various weather conditions and in close proximity to goats. Exposure to odors, dust, and animal waste is to be expected. It is essential to maintain a respectful and compassionate attitude towards the animals and work collaboratively with fellow staff and volunteers.
Work days and hours are flexible, but intern must commit to a regular schedule.
College credit may be available. Check with your department.
1. Gain Understanding of Goat Dairy Farm Operations:
– Learn about the daily routines and tasks involved in operating a goat dairy farm.
– Understand the various roles and responsibilities of farm staff and their contributions to the farm’s success.
– Familiarize oneself with the different breeds of dairy goats and their specific characteristics.
2. Learn Proper Goat Handling and Care:
– Develop the skills necessary for safely and compassionately handling dairy goats.
– Understand the principles of animal welfare and how to provide proper care and nutrition for goats.
– Learn about common health issues in dairy goats and how to recognize and address them.
– Develop a passion for promoting ethical and responsible farming practices.
3. Participate in Milking and Milk Processing:
– Gain hands-on experience in milking dairy goats using various milking techniques.
– Understand the importance of milk hygiene and quality control in the milking process.
4. Collaborate and Communicate Effectively:
– Work as part of a team with other farm staff and interns to achieve common goals.
– Communicate effectively with supervisors and colleagues to ensure tasks are completed efficiently.
– Develop interpersonal skills when interacting with visitors, customers, and suppliers.
5. Reflect and Apply the Internship Experience:
– Engage in self-reflection to identify personal growth and learning outcomes from the internship.
– Apply the knowledge and skills gained during the internship to future academic or career pursuits.
– Consider the potential for entrepreneurship or further involvement in sustainable dairy farming.
This is an unpaid internship, but has perks!
– Join our goat yoga classes at no cost
– Milk, Dairy Products, Eggs, Fruit, and Veggies when in season
– Enjoy free camping for yourself, family, or friends on the farm
– Indulge in occasional farm fresh baked goodies
We are dedicated to providing equal opportunities to all applicants, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Our hiring process is designed to be fair, transparent, and inclusive, ensuring that every candidate is evaluated solely based on their desire and passion to learn and work with our herd.
By cultivating a diverse and inclusive workforce, we aim to create an environment where everyone feels valued, heard, and empowered to contribute their best. We actively encourage open dialogue and promote a culture of respect, where differing viewpoints are embraced and nurtured.